The highly anticipated Gossip Girl reboot has finally hit HBO Max, ushering in a new ruling class at Constance Billard and St. Jude’s.
And while much of the focus has been on the fashion, our favorite Upper East Siders famously love a good beauty look. Who could forget Blair Waldorf’s iconic headbands or Serena van der Woodsen’s lip gloss over lipstick debate?
This time around, the reboot is helmed by celebrity makeup artist and department head Amy Tagliamonti. Working closely with M.A.C Cosmetics, Tagliamonti created a fresher, more modern take on Manhattan’s elite—think bold lips, winged liner, and shimmery lids. As proclaimed by mean girl Luna La (played by Zión Morena) in the pilot episode, headbands are decidedly out, but some makeup from the original still holds up in 2021.
To investigate further, ELLE.com asked Tagliamonti to walk us through four unique beauty looks from the first few episodes, including the exact products she used and how to recreate them at home.
Julien’s It Girl Moment
As the queen of Constance, Julien Calloway has to look the part. “This is the first time we really see Julien out with her friends at their exclusive hang out called Dumbo Hall,” says Tagliamonti. “She’s in her full-on influencer glory, looking fierce and excited because Zoya is joining the tight-knit friend group for the first time.”
How to Get the Look:
- Apply Make Up Forever Ultra HD Foundation and Make Up Forever Velvet Skin Matte Concealer with a brush or sponge and set with no color powder.
- Fill in eyebrows with M.A.C Eye Brows Styler in Brunette, following the natural shape and brow texture.
- Apply Fenty Bronzer in Bajan Gyal around the hairline and contours of the cheek and Mented Cosmetics Blush in Pinky Promise.
- Using the M.A.C Art Library: Flame-Boyant Palette, apply the shade Dali Wood all over the lid, Dada Issues and Fan the Flames in the crease, and Samoa Silk in between to soften everything together. Along the top lash line, use the Tartiest clay paint liner from Tarte in Black and a touch of Rimmel Wonder Swipe in Instafamous on the inside corners of the eye on the top & bottom. Finish with mascara from Pat McGrath.
- Apply Anastasia Beverly Hills Lip Stain in Black Cherry and set with Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Foundation Powder.
- Spray the look with Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Setting Spray.
Kate’s Natural Elegance
Episode 2 finds our Upper East Siders attending a fancy gala. “Kate Keller, one of Constance’s most memorable teachers, is at the Black Tie for Classroom Supplies event,” Tagliamonti says. “Kate is consistently pretty but she’s focused on so much more than her makeup! With Tavi [Gevinson], her eyes are naturally so beautiful so I try to be minimal but use colors that open and make her eyes pop even more.”
How to Get the Look
- Apply Make Up Forever Ultra HD Foundation and Tarte Shape Tape Concealer or Pat McGrath Labs Concealer.
- Fill in brows with MAC Eye Brows Styler in Fling and apply M.A.C Pro Longwear Blush in Stay Pretty.
- Using the M.A.C Amber Times Nine Mini Palette, apply the shade Kitties all over the lid and a touch of Cozy Grey in the crease. Apply softened eyeliner to the top lash line only with Dior Crayon Eyeliner in Trinidad Black. Finish with Maybelline Volum’ Express The Colossal Mascara in Glam Black.
- Set with Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Foundation Powder and M.A.C Lustreglass Sheer-Shine Lipstick in See Sheer.
Zoya’s New Girl Shimmer
Attending one of her first Upper East Side events, Zoya Lott stands out as the new girl. “Zoya is just getting her feet wet learning to navigate this new competitive and often cruel world of not just high school, but high society,” Tagliamonti explains. “She is finding her way when it comes to dressing up while remaining true to herself.”
How to Get the Look
- Apply Make Up Forever Ultra HD Foundation and Make Up Forever Concealer. For the cheeks, use M.A.C. Mineralize Blush in Naturally Flawless.
- Set with Maybelline Lasting Fix Powder in Banana.
- Apply Lorac Lux Diamond Creme Shadow in Cashmere across the lids. Using the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil, draw liner across the top lash line and extend out. Finish with M.A.C Extended Play Giga Black Mascara.
- Dab on Dr. PawPaw Tinted Balm in Rich Mocha.
Luna’s School Girl Glam
Julien’s right hand, Luna La is obsessed with style and beauty. “She is all about her influencer bestie staying on top at any cost,” Tagliamonti says. “Luna is part stylist, part mastermind, part quality control.”
How to Get the Look
- Apply Make Up Forever HD Foundation and KVD Concealer. Set with M.A.C Blot Powder in Light. For the cheeks, use Laura Mercier Color Infusion Blush in Strawberry.
- Using the M.A.C Art Library: Nude Model Palette, apply Drop the Robe on the lids and Pleasing to the Eye in the crease. Finish with Glossier Lash Slick Mascara in Black.
- Apply Yensa Lip Oil in Pink Shine.